Want to stay cool this summer without breaking the bank? Running your air conditioning all season can really take its toll on your wallet but there are little things you can do that add up to big savings.
- Maintain your HVAC unit. Just like people, HVAC units require check-ups to make sure everything is working just as it should. We offer our Texas Ace Heating & Air Preventive Maintenance Membership so you can rest comfortably knowing that your unit is in tip-top shape.
- Use window coverings. When the sun is beaming in your windows, it can raise the temperature in your home up to 30 degrees which will make your air conditioner work overtime and cost you a lot of money. Keep the sun out by keeping blinds and drapes closed.
- Insulate your home. Many homes in Texas are not properly insulated which can make it very easy for cold air – and heat in the winter – to escape from your house. Getting the R-factor between your indoor and outdoor walls beefed up can make all the difference in the world.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Why keep your home cooler than it needs to be when you aren’t home? That’s just throwing money out the window. A programmable thermostat takes all the hassle out of remembering when to turn the temperature up and down or having to manually adjust it. It can also save you big bucks.
- Update your windows. Old, leaky windows can be one of the biggest energy suckers in your home. New windows may seem like a big investment today, but the savings they will bring you over the years will make up for the cost. You also want to make sure you don’t have air leaks under doors where the cold air can seep out.
- Use fans. Ceiling and stand fans cost a lot less money to run than your air conditioner. They also do a great job of circulating air in your home. This helps keep a consistent temperature throughout the house and keeps you’re A/C from running all the time.
- Minimize appliance use. Stoves and ovens, dishwashers, and laundry appliances give off more heat than you might think. Using them can raise the temperature in your home substantially which in turn keeps your air conditioner trying to keep up which can get expensive.
- Plant trees. This tip is more of a long-term solution but the difference that the shade from trees can make in your energy bills can be significant. Plus they will beautify your property and add value to your home.
- Replace light bulbs. High wattage incandescent light bulbs give off lots of heat and use lots of electricity. Replace them with LED or fluorescent bulbs and watch your electric bills go down.
Implementing some- or all -of these ideas will assure that you are saving money this summer and for many summers to come. Don’t make your air conditioning system work overtime if it doesn’t have to. Texas Ace Heating & Air serves the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and would love to tell you more about our full-service preventive maintenance program. Give us a call at 817-240-6701 or contact us online to find out more about air conditioning maintenance and HVAC maintenance.